When I was a freshman in college, I gained the dreaded freshman 15. Going into college I struggled with body image, and this new weight just made it worse. God wants us to love our bodies and take care of them. He does not want us to gain the freshman 15.
Since I’m no fitness expert, I’m having my friend Nikki, a Beachbody coach, share how to avoid the freshman 15. Check out her 8 tips below!
Your first year in college should be exciting! This is your chance to find purpose, make new friends and begin fulfilling your dreams.
The Freshman 15 states that there is a high possibility you will gain an extra 15 pounds within your first year of college. An extra 15 pounds is not something to be taken lightly, but, there is a way this can be avoided.
God created us to live an abundant life! A satisfying life! (John 10:10) A life filled with love, kindness, peace and joy! Living inside bodies we don’t love, dealing with health issues is not fun and is definitely not the life God wants for us!
If you want to avoid gaining the Freshman 15 and enjoy your college years here are a few tips to help:
- Eat breakfast. Start your day with a healthy breakfast, not only will eating breakfast speed up your metabolism but it will help you make healthier choices throughout the day. One of my favorite quick and easy breakfast recipes is steel cut oats, with strawberries and a little bit of maple syrup.
- Eat less processed/boxed food and eat more vegetables and fruits. Be sure to keep some washed/cut and packed inside of Ziploc bags so they’re easily accessible.
- Exercise for a minimum of 30 minutes a day. You can go on a jog/walk with a few of your girlfriends, sign up for a Pilates class or do at home workouts 3-5 days out of the week! Anything to get your heart rate moving and staying active is better than nothing.
- Cook more often! Make cooking fun by experimenting with new healthy foods, invite a few friends over to swap healthy recipes and make some healthy meals together.
- Eat healthy when out. While dining out at restaurants, eat grilled, baked, broiled and fresh foods! Share dessert and don’t drink your calories.
- Drink lots of water. Drink plenty of water every day, add cut lemons, cucumbers, strawberries and oranges to enhance the flavor. Avoid soda and any juices that do not say 100% juice.
- Find inspiration. On your social media accounts follow healthy accounts, for exercise ideas, recipes, tips and fun ways to live healthy.
- You got this! Lastly, your beauty isn’t measured in pounds! However, living a healthier life and being comfortable in your own skin will help you feel better, give you energy, healthier skin, nails and hair and avoid health issues so you can enjoy this physical life more! Be all you can be and make a difference in our world!
Do all that you can to avoid gaining the Freshman 15. You are worth it!
With Love, Nikki
Hello everyone my name is Nikki! I’m a wife, mother to 3 children and a passionate Christ follower. My greatest joy is helping other women to live a healthier fulfilling life! I grew up extremely insecure and it was Christ who opened my eyes to what the meaning of true love is! In him is where I found my value and worth!
I began living healthy and also helping others to do the same. After having my last child, I was miserable with my outward appearance. After helping myself, I knew God wanted me to pass on all that I knew and help other women who were struggling. Since then my life has changed. Living a healthy life is amazing and helping other women see they have the power to do anything they put their heart and mind too is even better! I’m thankful that God led me to a place where I can make a difference in the lives of millions!
If you need help or encouragement you can write to me firstname.lastname@example.org.