Do you feel far from God? Like any relationship, our relationship with God requires work. In order to feel close to God, we have to know God. In order to know God, we must spend time with him. (Would you like to know God personally?)
Think about a car. Eventually, a car runs out of gas and needs to be refueled. Our spiritual lives are just like cars. If we don’t refuel our hearts, we will be empty tanks unable to function.
Get real with yourself. How are you and God doing?
- When was the last time you spent quality time with God?
- When was the last time you felt awe over the love of God?
In the busyness of life, it is easy to stop spending time with God. I want to challenge you to invest in your relationship with Him. Not only is it the most important relationship you’ll ever have, but it also helps you have better relationships with everyone else in your life. If you are struggling in your relationship with God, check out the tips below to learn how to keep your relationship fresh.
10 Ways to Keep Your Relationship with Jesus Fresh
- Prioritize God in your schedule. Make time for God. Spend daily time in the Word. Even Jesus prioritized spending time with God. “Immediately Jesus made his disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd. After leaving them, he went up on a mountainside to pray.” Mark 6:45-46.
- Preach the gospel to YOURSELF. As humans, we are forgetful and need to hear the gospel over and over again. Share the gospel with yourself as you drive in the car or in the mirror as you get ready in the morning. The more you repeat the redeeming story of Christ, the more the story will be ingrained into your mind.
- Find a new devotional book. It is important to connect with others and read scripture together. Can you think of a friend who would love to start a new devotional book with you?
- Get up early and pray. Even Jesus dedicated his time to pray to God. “And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed.” Mark 1:35.
- Join a church Bible study or small group. Are you a part of a Christian community? Join a church. Find other women to meet with regularly to discuss God’s word. Get involved. Serve.
- Journal. (Why journal?) Journaling changed my relationship with God. Write down all the good things God is showing you and teaching you. Re-read old journals when you need a reminder of God’s faithfulness and love.
- Listen to the Bible. While I get ready in the morning, I use the YouVersion Bible app to have the Bible read out loud. This is a fun and easy way to add scripture into parts of your day during which you cannot physically read the text.
- Memorize scripture. (Check out this easy way to memorize scripture!)
- Find an accountability partner. Find another believer in your area or in your Christian community and schedule times to talk and keep each other accountable. (Need accountability questions to ask?)
- Turn to God, even when He feels far. Even Jesus turned to God even when he did not understand God’s plan. “And they went to a place called Gethsemane. And he said to his disciples, “Sit here while I pray.” And he took with him Peter and James and John, and began to be greatly distressed and troubled. And he said to them, “My soul is very sorrowful, even to death. Remain here and watch.” Mark 14:32-34.
To know God, we have to spend time with Him. Even Jesus had to spend time with God, and he is God! How important is it then that we mere humans spend time with God?
Join the community of women readers in JP Ministries as we seek to pursue Jesus and get to know God. Sign up for our email list below!