Struggling with shame from sexual abuse? Looking for a small group? Join us this Spring for a new online group.
Group Description: Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Abuse. In an online group, we will gather to work through the book, Rid of My Disgrace.
Who is this for? Any woman who is struggling with shame and healing from sexual abuse and desires a safe place to discuss your issues in light of the transforming gospel of Christ.
About the Book: “The statistics are jarring. One in four women and one in six men are or will be victims of sexual assault in their lifetime. But as sobering as the statistics are, they don’t begin to speak to the darkness and grief experienced by these victims. Because sexual assault causes physical, psychological, emotional, and spiritual pain, victims need clear help, hope, and healing. In Rid of My Disgrace, a couple experienced in counseling victims of sexual assault explains how the grace of God can heal the broken and restore the disgraced. Justin and Lindsey Holcomb outline an approach for moving from destruction to redemption. While avoiding platitudes and shallow theology, Rid of My Disgrace combines biblical and theological depth with up-to-date research. This book is primarily written for those who have been assaulted (either as children or adults) but also equips family, friends, pastors, and others to care for victims in ways that are compassionate, practical, and informed.”
When: Mondays, Starting February 4, 2019, 7:00–9:00 p.m. (CST)
What are the sessions like? Each session we will work through discussion questions from chapters in the book. The video sessions will be hosted on ‘Zoom Meeting’, the most reliable online conferencing out there. You will have a direct, private connection with your coach and group where everyone can see each other and connect.
Cost: Groups are $129.00 to be paid at the time of registration. This non-refundable* fee encourages group commitment and participation. (If finances are a problem, let us know. You can apply for a scholarship.)
Leader: All groups are led by the founder of Joy Pedrow Ministries, Joy Pedrow Skarka. Joy earned a masters in Christian Education and Women’s Ministry from Dallas Theological Seminary (DTS). Currently, she is a doctoral candidate at DTS, studying women, sexuality, and shame.
What do I get:
- Online groups meet weekly for 12 consecutive weeks online (via Zoom Conference) to work through the book Rid of My Disgrace. Meetings will last 2 hours each week.
- Online groups are limited to 10 women. Registration is first-come,
- Groups close to new members at the start of Week 1. New members may join once a new group starts.
- 1 60-minute Skype call with Joy. Once you are in the group, you will schedule your time with Joy.
- Access into a private community (via Slack). Here you can ask Joy and your group any question you like. You’ll get personal and practical answers on a continual basis. A valuable benefit is forming relationships with your group, and sharing creative ideas, resources, and goals as you progress through the session. The stronger the relationships you make, the more value you will get out of the group. You can continue to stay in this community when the group ends!
- If in the USA, we will send you a copy of the book. If you are not located in the USA, we will send you an e-book.
This study is not meant to provide in-depth counseling. We highly recommend you seek counseling outside of this group.